Museum Street, Tel:(02) 865864
Priceless and fascinating collection of Cypriot
antiquities and art treasures from the Neolithic Age to
the early Byzantine Period.
Leventis Municipal Museum of Nicosia
Ippocratous Street, Laiki Yitonia.
Tel: (02) 661475
This is the only
historical museum of Nicosia and revives the old ways of
life in the capital from ancient times up to our days.
Museum and Art Galleries
Largest collection of icons on the island, covering the
priod from 9th to 18th century. The art Galleries contain
oil paintings, maps and lithographs.
The Ethnographic Museum of Cyprus
Founded by the society of Cypriote Studies
Plateia Arch. Kyprianou Tel: (02) 432578
Wide collection of Cypriot folk art of the 19th and early
20th century, including wood carved objects, tapestry,
embroidery, pottery, national costumes and handwoven
Near the Archibishopric, Tel: (02) 304550
Documents, photos and
other memorabilia of the 1955 - 1959 National Liberation
Within the Archbishopric, Arch. Kyprianou Square.
Built by Archbishop
Nikiforos in 1662, the recently restored 18th century wall
paintings depict biblical scenes and the discovery of the
tomb of Saint Barnabas at Salamis. Dedicated
to Ayios Ioannis (Saint John).
(old and new)
Plateia Arch. Kyprianou
Centre of the Cyprus
Orthodox Church, the new Archbishopric built in a neo-byzantine
style in 1960. The Old Archibishopric houses the
Ethnographic museum of Cyprus.
of Hadjigeorgakis Kornessios
Patriarch Gregoriou20 Tel: 02-305316
It is the most important
18th century building in Lefkosia which after being
restored, won the 1988 Europa Nostra Award. Once the
residence of the Dragoman Chatzigeorgakis Kornesios, it
now houses the Cyprus Ethnological Museum.
Agiou Savva 3B, Tel:
Collection of Cyprus stamps from 1800 onwards. These
stamps, classified internationally amongst the best, are
of significant value in world philately.
Cyprus Jewellers' Museum
7-9 Praxippou Lefkosia Tel: (02) 667278
A display of traditional
jewellery from the end of the 19th century including
ornaments, religious items, silver utensils and old tools.
Leoforos Athinon Tel: (02) 430877
The Venetian walls, which
completely encircle the old city, have a circumference of
4,5 km and possess eleven heart-shaped bastions.
There were only three entries to the city through gates in
the north, south and east. One of these gates, the Porta
Giuliana, called the Famagusta Gate, has been restored and
is now the Nicosia Municipal Culture Centre. The large
imposing gate itself leads into a long passage with a
central cupola, which cuts through the walls and comes out
in the moat. On both sides are high, stonewalled
guardrooms. The restored passage and rooms are used for
exhibitions, conferences, lectures and various
performances. The old quarter of the town, close to the
Famagusta Gate, is also being rehabilitated.
Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre
Apostolou Varnava 19, Tel: (02) 432577
The centre is housed in
the building of the old power station which is one of the
finest examples of industrial architecture in Cyprus. Its
aim is to promote contemporary creativity at its highest
level by organising important and prestigious exhibitions.
Gallery of Contemporary Art
Stassinou Av. and Kritis St. Tel: (02)302951
Representative collection of paintings and sculpture by
Within walking distance from the Archbishopric.
Considered the oldest Byzantine church in Nicosia, it is
dedicated to "Our Lady of the Golden Flax" and
is believed to have been built in 1450 by Queen Helena
Near the Old Municipal Market within the walled city.
Converted into a mosque
in 1571 by Mustapha Pasha, who believed that the original
14th century Augustinian church of St. Mary's was built on
the spot where prophet Omer rested when visiting Nicosia.
Most of the original building was destroyed by Ottoman
artillery. The door of the main entrance belongs to the
14th century Lusignan building. Remains of a later
Renaissance phase of the building can be seen at the
northeastern side of the monument.
Onassagorou Street, within the old city.
Built in 1872 this used
to be the largest church in Nicosia. The marble mausoleum
to the east of the church contains the relics of the
bishops and priests executed by the Turks in 1821.
Solonos 47-49, near Laiki Yitonia.
Built by Archbishop
Germanos II in 1695, it is an interesting example of the
area within the walled city
Charming winding alleys with traditional houses and shops,
restaurants, galleries, all lovingly restored as typical
examples of Cypriot urban architecture of a bygone, more
An interesting complex of
eight workshops nestling around a central courtyard,
designed on the basis of a traditional inn. It
accommodates units engaged in contemporary applications of
St. Paul's Anglican
Vyronos, Tel: 02-442241
Though officially called
a Cathedral, this is the parish church for Anglican
residents, and was built in 1893 in a style reminiscent of
many English village churches.
Mouseiou, opposite Cyprus Museum Tel: 02-492900
Built in neon-Classical
style , the theatre is used for musical concerts, dance
perforamnces and various ceremonies. It is also the main
venue of the Cyprus Thatre Organisation.
Leoforos Athalassas, Tel: (02) 305024.
The aim of the government-run
centre is to promote and improve traditional folk art and
craft skills by helping artisans to improve their
techniques and maintain the quality of their products. The
Centre includes a showroom-shop with a wide selection of
Cyprus handicrafts, and has branches in Laiki Yitonia and
in all other towns.
of the History of Cypriot Coinage
51 Stasinou St. Agia Paraskevi, Bank of Cyprus
Headquarters, Tel: (02) 677135
presenting the development of coinage of Cyprus from the
6th century BC to the present day.
Near Deftera village, 11 km southwest of Nicosia
Dedicated to Our Lady of
the Golden Cave, the structure is an enlarged natural cave.
Unfortunately its painted interior is badly damaged. A
religious fair is held near the church on 15 August, a
name day of the Virgin Mary.
20 km sothwest of Lefkosia
Tamassos, with its rich copper works, was a city kingdom
of ancient Cyprus and of great importance throughout early
Excavations have produced the Royal Tombs and copper
workshops associated with the temple of Aphrodite-Astarte.
When Saints Paul and
Barnabas came to Cyprus, they were guided to Tamassos by
Herakleidios, whom they later ordained as Bishop of
Tamassos. He was martyred at the age of 60 and buried in
the cave where he had lived and preached. The monastery
was founded in 400 AD, destroyed and rebuilt several times
until Archbishop Chrysanthos renovated the church and
cells in 1773. The relics of the saint are kept in a
silver gift case.
Organised groups may visit the convent on Mondays,
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 09:00'-12:00 hrs. The use of
photo and video cameras inside the convent is prohibited.
41 km south of
Founded by two monks in 1148, when an icon of the Virgin
Mary was found in a nearby cave. Set in a picturesque dip
in the Machairas mountains, it is the scene of a large
religious fair on 15 August. Following a grant by the
Anastasios G. Leventis Foundation the vestry of Machairas
monastery which is housed in the monastery basement, has
been renovated and consists of the original cells of the
monks as well as stables and storage areas which were
restored specifically for this purpose.
The vestry has a room where the Monastery's old books and
manuscripts are kept, galleries and rooms containing icons
and other rerligous artefacts.
1,5 km east of Gourri
The whole village has been declared an ancient monument in
order to preserve architecture of the 19th to early 20th
century houses. The Houses of Katsinioros and Achilleas
Demetri have been restored as vivid examples of rural
architecture. They received the Europa Nostra award in
An 18th century monastery
with a gabled roof, restored in the early 1960s and now
serving as a retreat for nuns.
Off the Lefkosia - Anthoupolis road
The church dates back to
the Byzantine period, with rebuilding carried out in 1963
and in 1713 when it was purchased by Kykko Monastery.
Founded by Archbishop Nikiforos whose tomb can be seen in
the narthex of the church. The iconostasis dates to 1650
and there is a 1785 fresco of the Archangel Michael to
whom the monastery is dedicated.
27 km from
dedicated to Saints Barnabas and Hilarion, was probably
erected in the early 10th century, and is an outstanding
example of Byzantine architecture with five domes.
Next to the church stands
the Turkish mosque of Peristerona, witness to the long and
peaceful co-existence between the Greek Cypriots and
Turkish Cypriots of the village, and the whole of Cyprus,
at a time when Turkey had not yet adopted its partitionist
and expansionist policy.