Paphos District Archaeological Museum
Griva Digeni 43, Tel: (06) 940215.
Attractive collection of Cypriot antiquities from the
Paphos area, dating from the Neolithic Age to 1700 AD.
A. Ioannou 3 Tel: (06) 931393
An interesting collection of objects from the
Byzantine period, including Byzantine icons from the 7th to 18th centuries, and
the oldest icon found yet ib Cyprus of th e7th or 8th century.
Exo Vrysis 1 Tel: (06) 932010
Interesting private collection of objects from the
Neolithic Age to the present day.
Kato Pafos harbour
Originally a Byzantine fort built to protect the
harbour, it was rebuilt by the Lusignans in the 13th century, dismantled by the
Venetians in 1570, and rebuilt by the Ottomans after they captured the island
in the 16th century.
Ayia Solomoni Church
Kato Pafos, Leoforos Agiou Pavlou
Originally a Christian catacomb retaining some of the
12th century frescoes. A sacred tree at the entrance is believed to cure the
ailments of those who hang a personal offering on its branches.
of the Kings
Kato Paphos. Tel: (02) 940295.
Spread over a vast area, these impressive undergound
tombs date back to the 4th century BC. They are carved out of solid rock with
some being decorated with Doric pillars. High officials rather than Kings were
buried here, but the magnificence of the tombs gave the locality its name.
Mosaics of Paphos
House of Dionysos, House of Theseus and House of
Kato Paphos. Tel: (06) 940217.
House of Dionysos, House of Theseus, House of Aion
and House of Orpheus.The mosaic floors of
these 3rd and 5th century AD noblemenΥs villas, are considered among the
finest in the Eastern Mediterranean. They mostly depict scenes from Greek
A small 2nd century odeon built entirely of well-hewn limestone blocks, it is
now used in the summer for musical and theatrical performances. Nearby are the
remains of the ancient city walls, the Roman Agora and a building dedicated to
Asklipeios, god of medicine.
Kato Pafos, near the harbour.
This castle was built by the Lusignans at the
beginning of 13th century on the site of a previous Byzantine Castle. It was
destroyed by an earthquake in 1222.
Chrysopolitissa Church and Byzantine Basilica
Built in the 13th century, over the ruins of the
largest early Byzantine basilica on the island. Within the compound, one can
see St. Paul's Pillar, where according to tradition Saint Paul was flogged
before the Roman Governor Sergius Paulus was converted to Christianity.
Theoskepasti means "veiled by God".
According to tradition, a fog was sent by God to protect the original church
during the Arab raids. The modern church was built in 1923.
Folk Art Museum
Yeroskipou village. Tel: (06) 940216.
The name of the village comes from the Greek phrase,
"hieros kepos", the sacred garden of Aphrodite.
Fascinating collection of folk art and crafts
gathered together in the house known as Hadjismith.
Geroskipou village, Tel. (06) 961859
One of the most interesting and attractive Byzantine
churches on the island, dating to the 10th century. It has a vaulted basilica
surmounted by five domes forming a cross and has wall paintings dating to the
Sanctuary of Aphrodite
Kouklia village, 14 km east of Pafos
Tel: (06) 432180.
Palaipafos, Old Paphos, was one of the most celebrated
of pilgrimage centres of the ancient Greek world, and once an ancient
city-kingdom of Cyprus. Here stood the famous sanctuary of Aphrodite, the most
ancient remains of which date back to the 12th century BC The glorious days of
the sanctuary lasted, till the 3rd-4th century AD The Museum, housed in the
Lusignan Manor, contains many interesting finds from the area. Excavations
continue on the site of the sanctuary, the city and the necropolis.
(Birthplace of Aphrodite) 25 km east of Pafos
According to legend, Aphrodite, goddess of love and
beauty, rose form the waves in this strikingly beautiful spot. The Greek name,
Petra tou Romiou (The Rock of the Greek), is associated with the legendary
frontierguard of Byzantine times, Dighenis Akritas, who kept the marauding
Saracens at bay with amazing strength. It is said in one such fight he heaved
this large rock (petra) into the sea destroying the enemy's ship.
A complex of two churches. The oldest is the northern one which is a domed
cross-in-square type building possibly of the 12th century. Later in the 18th
century a barrel-vaulted church was added to the south. Excellent 16th century
icons survive on the iconostasis.
(Ayios Georghios Basilica and the fountains of Pegeia)
Near a fishing refuge 4 km from the village of Pegeia, are the ruins of two
early Christian basilicas with some very interesting mosaic floors depicting
animals. This site must have been an important establishment in Early Christian
times. There are also rock-hewn tombs of the Roman period above the sea. Peyia
is famous for its fountains in the stone paved village square.
At Lempa village excavations have brought to light an important settlement of
the Chalcolithic period. Near the site replicas of two houses from this period
have been constructed.
Founded at the end of the 12th century by the Cypriot hermit and writer,
Neophytos. The "Engleistra", an enclosure, carved out of the mountain
by the hermit, contains some of the finest Byzantine frescoes dating from the
12th to the 15th century. In the monastery's church there is an interesting
collection of icons and remains of 16th century frescoes.
Set in beautiful surroundings, this monastery, dedicated to Our Lady of the
Golden Pomegranate, was originally founded in the 12th century but the present
building dates to 1779. The monastery has a collection of important icons and
treasures. An impressive religious ceremony and celebrations are held on 15
August. The old winery of the monastery produces some of the best vintage wine
On the west of Troodos, 1,5 km from
The birthplace of Archbishop Makarios III, first President of Cyprus. The house
where he was born has been turned into a museum.
37 km North of Pafos
Polis tis Chrysochou lies where once stood the ancient city-kingdom of Marion,
an important commercial centre in Classical and Hellenistic times. Some
beautiful houses, dating to the beginning of this century, can still be seen
here. Its excellent climate and beautiful beaches and scenery, have made the
area a popular resort.
Of interest in the centre of the town is the barrel vaulted church of Agios
Andronikos which dates to the 16th century. This was turned into a mosque
during the Turkish period, when the northern part was added to it and the wall
paintings were covered by an asbestos wash. Recently, all the wall paintings,
dating to the 16th century, have been uncovered. Next to the church lies the
18th century church of Agia Kyriaki.
Beautifuk beaches can be found in the surrounding region, pictaresque villages
as well as interesting churches, such as the churches of Agia Aikaterini and
Akamas Peninsula, near Polis. 48 km north of Pafos
According to legend, the goddess Aphrodite used to
take her beauty baths in the pool of this natural grotto, shaded by a fig tree.
Nature trails from the Baths lead to the Fontana Amorosa area and to other
areas of Akamas.